Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Post #30- Greatest Parenting Lesson I've Learned


 “Judge Not, Lest You Be Judged.” 
 ~ Matthew 7:1

This post will be short and sweet. It’s simply about judging. Judging what or whom you ask? Judging anything or anyone. I agree with Buddha in the aspect that most or all of our suffering comes from our own perceptions of the world, our un-rooted and ungrounded expectations about what should be or should have been. Through our own ego-driven self-interest and greed, we bring loads of unnecessary heartache upon ourselves. For pain might be inevitable in life, but suffering is optional. Therefore, we should refrain from all dualistic judgment (good vs. bad, beautiful vs. ugly, sacred vs. secular) and simply experience life, even those moments of pain or discomfort while learning the lessons that life has to offer us.
Having said that, I recently saw this truth in greater clarity when considering my own children. To be quite honest, my interests and expectations, according to some, might be considered a little “siddity” or “bougie.”  However, my children couldn’t be farther from that. Though I do my best to expose them to culture and the arts, they have not proven to naturally gravitate towards museums, classical music, and the refined pleasures of life. They don’t quite have the poise I would like them to have and, to be totally honest, they are not as academically inclined as I am or I would hope they would be.
So, in consideration of these facts, I have often found myself “judging” my children, almost looking down on them. Wow, after typing those words I realize how crappy that sounds, but I committed this blog to truth-telling and authenticity and I want to honor that commitment. I’m sharing this to reemphasize that with your children or life in general all and any judgment should be laid aside to embrace surrender and trust.
This actually became clear to me recently when I began to consider the possibility that my son might not go to college and in fact might simply not be college “material.” While this still disturbs me to even think about (particularly as a college professor with a Bachelor Degree two Master Degrees, and is finishing up his PhD) I have decided to surrender my will to the individuality and authenticity of all people, including my own children. I have come to clearly understand that they are their own persons with their own journeys. Likewise, I have certainly not been the world’s most perfect parent, so as the scripture above suggests, I don’t want to be judged, therefore I will refrain from judging anyone else, including and especially my own children. I will surrender to their authenticity and trust them to God, for God’s love for them is greater than even my own.
So, I encourage you to surrender your expectations for your children. See them for who they are and accept them for who they aren’t. Trust their journeys to God, knowing God’s wisdom and your loving support will get them exactly where God would have them be, not where you would have them be. For….
This is not the end of your child’s story. Their best days are not behind them; they are ahead of them. Know that your child is an individual and has his or her own path. So, just remember that with your loving support and acceptance, they’ll be led down the right path for them, and be positioned to receive all of the #bigthingscoming!


In Surrender and Trust,

 ~Ray

NOTE: If you’re new to the site it might be helpful to read my first introductory post. Also, feel free to post your questions or comments here and you can always reach out to me on Twitter @raycjordan using the hash tag #bigthingscoming.
(Copyright, 2013, Ray Jordan) 

*Please take a few minutes to hear this amazing song by contemporary Jazz legend, Diane Reeves! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment