Thursday, July 26, 2018

I'm Baaaaack!


Well, it’s been a long time since I used this forum and format. It’s not because I haven’t had something to say. God knows, I was born with an opinion and usually always have something to say (and hopefully contribute to the conversation). However, for the past three years I became lost. I was so busy working that I lost myself in the hustle. 

Have you ever experienced this? Have you ever been so busy “making a living” that you forgot to actually live. To make matters worse, this is the antithesis of what I have believed, preached and taught all of my adult life. For example, I have often proclaimed that our God, the God of abundant life, does not call us to work harder, rather empowers us to work smarter. Likewise, I have long believed that God is our shepherd; therefore we do not have to want. Also, I have long taught that Spirit will make the crooked places straight and lead us to our place of purpose. While I believed it all, I somehow got lost in the shuffle of the American way and the capitalist stick and carrot. I lost sight of who I was and who and what I was called to be. I no longer had time for the things that makes me thrive and buzz with purpose and passion.


So, this blog post is somewhat of a return to one of my first loves: writing. This is an interesting discovery because I never thought of writing as a path for me, much less a gift. Thankfully, it was one of my professors during my PhD program who lifted the idea of writing as vocation for me, one of the gifts in my wheelhouse. While I had never considered it, when she brought it to my attention the suggestion immediately resonated with me. With this first blog post in some years and in the remembrance of that professor’s affirmation of my gifts (Barbara Mossberg), I’d like to simply offer these thoughts:

1.     Get back to you. If you find yourself lost in the busyness of life, in the pressures of “adulting” and/or the expectations of others, PAUSE. Take a moment to recall, to remember who you really are, to embrace again that which brings you the most joy, and that which feeds your soul…and then get back to it!
2.     Give thanks for those who affirm you, love you, acknowledge you, and confirm the God-gifts in you. Listen to them. Humbly accept their love and affirmation. In doing so, it makes it so much easier to be about God's plan for you (while shutting the haters up).
3.     Thirdly (and lastly for now), take some time to love you. Physically, emotionally and spiritually, can honestly say that you are living your best life? If not, don’t be overwhelmed by the idea of turning your entire life inside-out. Rather, take one step at time. In the words of Dr. King, “Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” One step at time and you can take back control of your life.


This is not the end of our story; the best is not behind us, it is ahead of us. I love you…for real! Thank you for reading and thank you for walking this journey with me! And as always, please remember there are  #bigthingscoming.

NOTE: If you’re new to the site it might be helpful to read my first introductory post. Also, feel free to post your questions or comments here and you can always reach out to me on Twitter @raycjordan using the hash tag #bigthingscoming.
(Copyright, 2018, Ray Jordan)

No comments:

Post a Comment