Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Post #2-I am....hmmmmmmmm????

 
   Je m'appelle Raul. In high school I took French (however, considering that at the time of this post I live Dallas, French probably wasn’t the most practical choice) and my French teacher insisted that each student take a name more commonly used in France.  Mine was Raul. Je m'appelle Raul, or My name is Ray. Announcing your identity is one of the very first things you learn to do when learning a foreign language. In fact, establishing an identity a part from your primary caretaker (usually our mothers) is one of the first signs of a toddler’s independence while  establishing, understanding, and making meaning of that identity continues to plague us throughout adulthood. “Who are you?” Seems like a pretty simple question, but I promise, it’s more complex than it sounds.
  Unfortunately, so many of us have been so preoccupied being who think we “should” be, that we’ve neglected being who were created to be. One of my favorite quotes is from famed professor and author Joseph Campbell, who states “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” Don’t you just love that!  In other words (my words), There ain’t but one ‘us’…. and I believe that each of us is uniquely and powerfully equipped to offer something to this world that is as unique and powerful as we are.  Let me share this except from my personal journey, written just a few days ago:
   “For most of my life I have lived comparing myself to others while wishing and thinking ‘if I could only sing like that one or was as good in this or that as the other one.’ But, funny enough, God has led me back to where I began, to that which was there all along…. ‘me.’ I used to struggle in the duality that pitted God’s will against my own thoughts, feelings, needs and desires.  I now realize there is no need to choose, for they are one and the same. For, what is God’s will??? That I be –me– ….fully, wholeheartedly, authentically me. There is no other will or way for my life than to live out the purpose and passion and plan and position that’s already inside of me, waiting to be birthed into the world.”
   So, I challenge you, get clear not only on what you want but who you are! What's your intention for your life & who you are in it? Let there be no secrets, no regrets, no hesitations or trepidation about being you. Come to the plate of life fully present and living a life that doesn’t split into many versions of you, but live a life of integrity and integration, offering your full self to your loved ones, to God and most importantly to yourself!  All of you deserve better. Yes, it’s a process but decide today to make a different choice. Decide that you’ll bring and be nothing less than who you most truly and authentically are. Because once you get clear on ‘you,’ the rest is just details!
  And as always, please remember…..this is not the end of your story....your best days are not behind you, they're ahead of you….because for YOU, please know, there are certainly #bigthingscoming
Love ya!  ~Ray

NOTE: If you’re new to the site it might be helpful to read my first introductory post. Also, feel free to reach out to me on Twitter @raycjordan using the hash tag #bigthingscoming. 

(Copyright, 2013, Ray Jordan)

1 comment:

  1. You may as well be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

    ReplyDelete