Friday, December 18, 2015

An Unexpected Christmas Lesson

Merry Christmas! That’s right, not just Christmas, but our annual hope and public proclamation is that it will be “merry”. This age-old greeting reminds us that our expectation for the holiday isn’t to be mediocre or average but happy and “holly jolly” and filled with exceeding joy…..

Geez! Just typing it is exhausting. Each year, there are many people who don’t experience the holiday this way, however,  this year I seemed to have heard from many more people than usual that it’s been particularly hard to get in the “Christmas spirit.”I have to admit, this year has been difficult for me as well.

Because I practice my spirituality in the tradition of liturgical Christianity, this time of the year isn’t as much about Christmas as it is about Advent. Advent is the beginning of the traditional Christian calendar and a time when we emphasize the spiritual practice of waiting, the spiritual gift of patience and the spiritual reality of the Divine being birthed, not only within Mary the mother of Jesus, but within each of us as well.

Yes, the birth of Jesus is thought to be a beautiful, holy and joyous occasion, however the time before Jesus’ birth was actually uncertain, anxious and even scary. From the terrifying declaration of the Angel to Mary, to the uncertainty of Jesus’ birth (remember, they were essentially homeless at the time) to the decree from Herod to have all of the male babies and toddlers killed, thus causing the young Jesus and his parents to flee (as refugees, no doubt) to Africa to escape his murderous rampage. Now, that’s some scary sh*t!

So, today I find solace in this story as I face my own sense of uncertainty, fear and sadness this Advent and Christmas season. To say it bluntly, my life wasn’t supposed to end up this way. Believe me, I had great plans! Plans for me, and what my family and life would look like. Needless to say, NONE of them have worked out according to my master plan.

If I were to be completely honest, my life is a mere remnant of what it was “supposed” to be, the point it would be almost unrecognizable to a young Ray, full of hope and promise. Please don’t get me wrong, I don’t want anyone to cry for me or play the world’s smallest violin. I have a good life and I have so much to be thankful for! In many ways I am stronger and wiser than I’ve ever been. I am definitely more authentic than I’ve ever been (and this fact alone is worth all of the sacrifices I’ve made). However, the all of the wealth of good things in my life can’t completely steer me away for noticing the areas of dysfunction, lack and disappointment.

So, what is there for me to do? I, again, turn to the story of Jesus’ birth. When poor Mary, a young teen whose life was completely turned upside-down by unexpected circumstances, was confronted with unexpected life plans she simply responded with these words (as recorded in Luke 1:38),


“Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me, according to your word.”

Yes, that’s the word for me (and possibly you) this Advent and Christmas…the lesson of surrender and the ability to let go. I’ll talk more specifically about my own situation and how this applies in my next blog post (it feels good to be writing again). But until then, please know that…

This is not the end of our story. Our best days are not behind us; they are ahead of us. If your Christmas isn’t exactly “merry”, then you are in good company. The first Christmas wasn’t exactly good times either. Fear and uncertainty are as much of faith as is victory and triumph; one is incomplete without the other. But no matter what the season presently looks like, just remember there are #bigthingscoming.

NOTE: If you’re new to the site it might be helpful to read the first (introductory) post. Also, feel free to post your questions or comments here and you can always reach out to me on Twitter @raycjordan using the hash tag #bigthingscoming.
(Copyright, 2015, Ray Jordan)


No comments:

Post a Comment